Pages


Friday, March 9, 2012

The Power of Vision



Today I lost my glasses. This wasn't a simple I lost my glasses and found them a few minutes later thing, it was a major hunt through the house for them. I don't wear them all the time so it's understandable that I could loose them after taking them off but the issue is, I've never lost my glasses before. I'm very careful with them since I only have one pair and glasses are expensive. My parents and I spent four hours hunting through the house searching for them. Today I was suppose to drop off my college transcript at the college I'm transferring to, but I couldn't because I can't drive without my glasses. I get major headaches and migraines if I go out for long periods of time without them. In the end I missed going to the college and my Mom had to drop me off at work. When I got home we checked my room one more time and found them behind my DVDs that I keep on a shelf. How they got there I still don't know but I'm thankful that I found them.

Why did I tell you all this story? Because I had a realization from it all.

Our sight is incredibly important to us and we don't realize what we are missing until it is gone. Its the same thing with God. Once we've accepted him as our Savior and started living for him our eyes are opened up to the world around us. Our field of vision is expanded. We see the world differently than other people, or at least that's what were suppose to do. When I lost my glasses today I couldn't see properly, things were blurry and I had to strain my eyes to read signs and see faces. If we turn away from God our vision also becomes blurry, we begin to think some things are 'ok' to do just because everyone else is doing them. We allow things of this world to cloud our vision and judgments and fall into its trap.
 

But if we keep our eyes on God then he allows us to see more. Have you ever heard the song Give Me Your Eyes by Brandon Heath? This song says the same thing I'm trying to tell you here. In it Brandon asks God to give him His eyes for "just one second, give me your eyes so I can see." With God's vision we begin to see the hurt that others are going through and we see how we can help them through it. We see peoples struggles, pain, and situations that we would have been previously blind to. He begins to show us how he sees the world and people. God uses this to open our hearts to others and to inspire us to go out and do more for Him. He also opens our eyes to everyday miracles and the wonders of this world. And through all of this we grow in God.

So are you inconveniencing yourself by allowing your vision to be clouded? Are you hurting yourself and your relationship with God because you've lost your spiritual glasses? Or have you found your pair and are seeing the world in a new light but haven't done anything about it yet? Are you letting your spiritual glasses go to waste or are you changing the world and helping others to see God's love and mercy?


I dare you to ask God to show you the world differently, to show you the world and people as He sees them, then do something about it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow. I love when God shows us something like this. Because you lost your glasses, He revealed you this matter. I think that's awesome, I'm sorry you couldn't go to college, but you and I both know that God had something else bigger planned.

    I hope He continues to reveal things to you. :) I enjoy reading them! And I love this SONG!!!

    ReplyDelete